FAQ’s for Temporary Workers

All those questions that you really want to ask..

What is the process for starting temporary work?

Congratulations, you have taken the first step in looking towards becoming a temporary worker.  Arden Personnel will help you find temporary work and will make sure you will be working for a reputable company in your local area.  First of all, you will need to register with us here, and then a consultant will call you to run through all of your details.

Why would a Company want to use a temp?

Sometimes, a business may need some extra help without hiring a permanent member of staff.  This may include covering for holidays, sickness or maybe a a short term project they need help with.  It may also be that they have a permanent role but want to hire a temp first to ensure they have the right person.  This is what is known as temp to perm.

What are the Agency Workers Regulations (AWR)?

These are regulations which arise out of the European Agency Workers Directive. They came into force on 1 October 2011 and give temporary agency workers the right to the same pay and working conditions that they would have been entitled to had they been directly employed into the same role by the hirer.Who do the regulations apply to?

Under the AWR, temporary agency workers become entitled  after they have been in the same role with the same hirer for 12 calendar weeks  This will then entitle them to the same pay and working conditions as a comparable direct employee of the hirer.  Liability for ensuring you receive these entitlements lies primarily with Arden Personnel, as the agency. However before supplying you into the assignment we took details from the hirer about the pay and working conditions that applied to ensure we could meet our obligations under the AWR. If the information we were given is incorrect and we acted reasonably in making the necessary enquiries, liability may switch to the hirer.

In what circumstances would I have to start the qualifying period again?

A qualifying period will have to be restarted if there is a break between assignments for any reason other than those included above, which is longer than 6 weeks.The qualifying period may also re-set to zero if you move to a substantively different temporary assignment i.e. at a new hirer or within the same hirer but to a completely different role.

What is my holiday entitlement?

You are entitled to the statutory minimum paid holiday of 5.6 weeks per year (which will be calculated pro rata depending on the proportion of the holiday you work). Upon completion of 12 calendar weeks within the same role with the same hirer, you will be entitled to the same amount of paid holiday as if you had been directly recruited by the hirer for the assignment. You can choose whether to bank your holiday pay and get paid when you take annual leave, or you can add this onto your hourly rate.  For example if you were paid £12 per hour and £1.45 per hour holiday pay, you would receive £13.45 per hour pay.  However, if you chose to bank your holiday, you will receive £12 per hour and the £1.45 per hour would be saved for when you take annual leave.

Who do I contact if I can’t make it into work?

If, for any reason you cannot make it into work, please ensure you call Arden Personnel, as your employer, first.  You can speak to any of the team here, or email admin@ardenpersonnel.co.uk.  Although a telephone call is preferable.  We will then let the client know that you won’t be in that day.  

How do I submit my hours?

You can submit your hours at the end of the week via our online timesheet submission process here.  Once your timesheet has been submitted, our Accounts department will  contact your Line Manager to authorise your hours.  If you know that your Line Manager is on annual leave or not available for any reason, please provide us with an alternative contact.  Your timesheet should be submitted no later than 12pm on a Monday.

What day do I get paid and how do I access my payslip?

You get paid on a Friday, and instructions to access your payslip are here.  Any questions, please do not hesitate to contact accounts at accounts@ardenpersonnel.co.uk.

How do I book annual leave?

You can book annual leave by requesting from us here.  We will then speak to the client and find out if this is convenient for them.

Am I entitled to sick pay?

In the unfortunate event that you are absent from work due to sickness, all temporary workers are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). For more information, please visit www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay.

Can I join a pension scheme?

You will be automatically enrolled into the Government Workplace Pension Scheme (NEST) after 3 months continual temping with Arden Personnel.  If you don’t wnat to be enrolled please let Arden Personnel know in writing asap.

If you have any other questions please contact us via the form below.

Get in touch

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.